Subject: bug#57141: closed (Re: bug#57141: 29.0.50; Most emoji not displaying in PGTK emacs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 05:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57141: 29.0.50; Most emoji not displaying in PGTK emacs

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57141: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57141
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57141: 29.0.50; Most emoji not displaying in PGTK emacs
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Eliachevitch <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 08:38:11 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Michael Eliachevitch <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 18:54:29 +0000
> 
> I figured out this issue, it was due to my custom font configuration in ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf'. When deleting that file, emojis display and I can also set the face- and frame-fonts to emoji fonts. Probably it's just broken, but I think it's still possible that it's formally correct, but the hinting and aliasing rules that it specifies cause some bug down the line. Feel free to close this, though if anyone is interested, I attached the file.
> 
> I also tried applying the suggested patch from bug#57066, but saw no difference: Without the custom fonts.conf the emoji display works well whether the patch is applied or not . With the custom fonts.conf the patch doesn't fix the issue.
> 
> Thanks so much for the help Eli! I'm glad to have this finally solved as I'm seeing more and more emacs users and packages starting to use unicode emoji.

Thank you for telling us.  I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: 29.0.50; Most emoji not displaying in PGTK emacs
From: Michael Eliachevitch <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 14:10:25 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I use emacs under wayland (sway) with PGTK and native compilation,
compiled from master. However, I found that in this configuration, at
least in my recent builds, unicode emoji are not properly displayed.
E.g. if I call `emoji-list', most emoji are not shown at all, except
very basic emoji like "Smileys > affection." If I insert a unicode
emoji, I just see a unicode placeholder. Calling `describe-char' on the
"Smileys > smiling" emoji from the *Emoji* buffer gives gives me:

                position: 65 of 2529 (3%), column: 0
                character: C-j (displayed as C-j) (codepoint 10, #o12, #xa)
                charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
    code point in charset: 0x0A
                script: latin
                syntax:   	which means: whitespace
                to input: type "C-x 8 RET a" or "C-x 8 RET LINE FEED (LF)"
            buffer code: #x0A
                file code: not encodable by coding system nil
                display: no font available

I tried using a different emoji font via customizing the emoji face,
where I set the font family to "JoyPixels", but this resulted in emacs crashing.

I could not find an existing ticket with "emoji" in the subject that
fits my symptoms, but maybe I didn't look properly or this is a symptom
of another known bug. Or I just misconfigured something on my system
which results in problems with the coding system or something that
happens due to my compilation options. Anyway, I don't know what else to
do to fix this on my own, so I would be happy for hints of if this can
be fixed somehow.

Best regards,
Michael Eliachevitch
---

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-08-11 built on e490
Repository revision: 89f51673792b13ae0d1b93d0bf8e35d452693c9c
Repository branch: makepkg
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-modules --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gconf
 --enable-link-time-optimization --with-native-compilation
 --with-xinput2 --with-pgtk --without-xaw3d --with-sound=no
 --with-xwidgets --without-gpm --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=native -mtune=generic -O3 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK
PNG RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM
XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils emoji-labels
emoji generate-lisp-file multisession sqlite transient comp comp-cstr
warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq format-spec edmacro kmacro eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 118945 18632)
 (symbols 48 21096 1)
 (strings 32 102059 1853)
 (string-bytes 1 2486759)
 (vectors 16 26117)
 (vector-slots 8 1148486 18229)
 (floats 8 39 31)
 (intervals 56 744 0)
 (buffers 992 13))

--
Michael Eliachevitch
Public PGP Key: https://keyoxide.org/hkp/546908c782383ad0e7d894ec1b8f95c8125dce31