Subject: bug#57140: New user option mouse-wheel-text-scale-buffer

From: Tyler Grinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 13:00:45 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Tyler Grinn <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:23:51 -0400
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Thanks, but isn't it better to control the amount of scaling by
>> > changing the value of text-scale-mode-step instead?  Having to scroll
>> > the wheel several clicks without any effect would be confusing, I
>> > think.  And text-scale-mode-step is already a user variable that is
>> > available for this purpose.  So maybe you should try decreasing the
>> > default value to, say, 1.02, to see if that satisfies your needs.
>> 
>> For some trackpads, controlling how many 'clicks' to scroll is quite
>> difficult. The step size fixes the issue of scrolling too fast, but I
>> still have trouble choosing the exact text scale I want. My preference
>> is still for a larger step size and throttling scroll events.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand why you need to count clicks.  Typically
> when users change the text scale, they just turn the wheel until the
> size they get fits their needs.  Making text-scale-mode-step smaller
> causes finer changes, so it's easier to be more precise in finding the
> desired scale.
>
> Can you explain how your proposal makes it easier than that, and why?

Sure, let me rephrase: for two-finger scrolling, it's hard to emit a
single scroll event. With a smaller step size it is easier to get it
close to the scale I want, but regardless of the step size, choosing an
exact text scale is difficult. This leads to buffers having slightly
different text scales.