Subject: Re: bug#57140: New user option mouse-wheel-text-scale-buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 19:02:27 +0300

> From: Tyler Grinn <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:23:51 -0400
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Thanks, but isn't it better to control the amount of scaling by
> > changing the value of text-scale-mode-step instead?  Having to scroll
> > the wheel several clicks without any effect would be confusing, I
> > think.  And text-scale-mode-step is already a user variable that is
> > available for this purpose.  So maybe you should try decreasing the
> > default value to, say, 1.02, to see if that satisfies your needs.
> 
> For some trackpads, controlling how many 'clicks' to scroll is quite
> difficult. The step size fixes the issue of scrolling too fast, but I
> still have trouble choosing the exact text scale I want. My preference
> is still for a larger step size and throttling scroll events.

Sorry, I don't understand why you need to count clicks.  Typically
when users change the text scale, they just turn the wheel until the
size they get fits their needs.  Making text-scale-mode-step smaller
causes finer changes, so it's easier to be more precise in finding the
desired scale.

Can you explain how your proposal makes it easier than that, and why?