Subject: bug#57138: 29.0.50; customize abbrev-table parent

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 13:56:07 +0200

Hi,
when using abbrev-mode from org-mode, run into problems, as it inherits 
abbrevs from text-mode --which are in German-- while need English, for 
example.

Parent abbrev-table seems hard-coded in org.el like this:

(when (fboundp 'abbrev-table-put)
   (abbrev-table-put org-mode-abbrev-table
             :parents (list text-mode-abbrev-table)))

Enabling customization would be great. Switching that off seems also a gain.

See a related report here:
https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/31001/how-to-inherit-one-abbrev-table-in-another-abbrev-table

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0)
  of 2022-08-04
Repository revision: 5a79bb2aed617f5b0ecf8e20ec958682e72fcc75
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-mailutils --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug org-element avl-tree generator cl-extra
help-mode ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe
ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs url-vars gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail mailcap
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode
exif dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode icons
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic json map
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv bibtex iso8601 time-date subr-x
ol rx org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 263037 18991)
  (symbols 48 42476 0)
  (strings 32 111337 2433)
  (string-bytes 1 2434554)
  (vectors 16 35093)
  (vector-slots 8 383434 15241)
  (floats 8 260 155)
  (intervals 56 283 0)
  (buffers 992 11))