Subject: bug#57131: regarding closing tags for non void html tags in html-mode skeletons

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:20:24 +0200

Yilkal Argaw <[email-masked]> writes:

> The problem with using them is that they would not
> generate closing tags for many of the tags (like <li> <p> because it
> is assumed that only xml needs closing tags and the closing pairs are
> controlled by the variable sgml-xml-mode. There should be a variable
> to control this behaviour

The variable that controls this is `sgml-xml-mode', so just set that to
a non-nil value if you prefer these functions to insert close tags.

> because the convention used widely in modern
> html is to close tags as long as they are not "void elements".

No, that's not the convention used in "modern html".  Quite the opposite.

>  This behaviour is even assumed in the indentation behaviour that it
> causes weird indentation when inserting the something like list items
> inside unordered list.

If something is doing that, then it's not parsing HTML properly.  HTML
isn't XHTML.

I don't see anything to fix here, so I'm closing this bug report.