Subject: Re: bug#57129: 29.0.50; Improve behavior of conditionals in Eshell

From: Bruno Haible <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 23:22:27 +0200

Paul Eggert wrote:
> I do see a comment saying that gen_tempname generates "hard-to-predict" 
> names, which as you note is not correct on MS-DOS, nor even strictly 
> speaking on all POSIX platforms. I installed the first attached patch 
> into Gnulib to fix that comment.

Another comment fix is as below. Note that both comment fixes need to be
propagated to glibc.

2022-08-15  Bruno Haible  <[email-masked]>

	tempname: Fix a comment.
	* lib/tempname.c (try_tempname_len): Use of entropy makes the function
	more, not less, secure.

diff --git a/lib/tempname.c b/lib/tempname.c
index 75a939e571..e6520191d7 100644
--- a/lib/tempname.c
+++ b/lib/tempname.c
@@ -273,7 +273,7 @@ try_tempname_len (char *tmpl, int suffixlen, void *args,
   /* Whether to consume entropy when acquiring random bits.  On the
      first try it's worth the entropy cost with __GT_NOCREATE, which
      is inherently insecure and can use the entropy to make it a bit
-     less secure.  On the (rare) second and later attempts it might
+     more secure.  On the (rare) second and later attempts it might
      help against DoS attacks.  */
   bool use_getrandom = tryfunc == try_nocreate;