Subject: 26.3; New prompt of `bookmark-set' is wrong/misleading

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 00:48:44 +0000

Just happened to see the prompt string of `bookmark-set' for the latest
bookmark.el in master.  IMO it's wrong/misleading.

With no prefix arg the prompt is now "Append bookmark named".

The actual behavior, correctly documented in the doc string, is that the
new bookmark is _pushed_, i.e., added at the beginning, i.e., prepended,
to the bookmark list; it's certainly not at appended.

This is important, actually.  `bookmark-alist' is, well, an alist.
Entries closer to the front shadow entries farther from the front.  It's
important that this prepends the new bookmark, otherwise it wouldn't be
the currently used bookmark with that name.

If you don't want to make clear in the prompt just what really happens,
then say "Add new bookmark named", or "Add bookmark named".  But please
do NOT say "Append bookmark named".

Thx.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''