Subject: Re: bug#57121: clojure-build-system fails to compile -- backtrace from language/tree-il/peval.scm

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 00:06:24 -0400

Hi Maxime,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 22-08-2022 17:32, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>>> These patches are for Guix' build system.  I don't see anything that
>>> could be done on the Guile side, except for eventually migrating some
>>> dependency tracking stuff over to Guile
>> If a module imports a different module, and that module changes, even if
>> it's macro, Guile should not blindly reuse the stale .go like it
>> currently does.  It should complain and evaluate from source instead.
>>
>> That would cover the base and avoid breakage.  After, if it known how to
>> do that, yes, it seems it'd be useful to have something similar to 'gcc
>> -M' to provide the needed intelligence to the build system.
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>
> Sounds reasonable, though we could go for something less general in
> Guix first.

I'd rather avoiding adding more complexity in Guix if it can be fixed
upstream; where it'd benefit everyone most.

Thanks,

Maxim