Subject: Re: GDB on Mac is Broken

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 10:43:14 +0200

> Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:05:41 +0900
> From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I should have been explained more why the difference in EOL conversion
> affects this issue.  The hang in Emacs 23 on Mac OS X is caused by
> unexpected ^M at EOL when processing gdb output.  Gdb actually outputs
> ^M, but GUD in Emacs 22 did not see ^M because it used dos (CRLF) EOL
> conversion due to the comint code I showed in my previous mail.

Ah, thanks -- this is the missing piece, then.  Is this ^M specific to
OS X, or does it happen on GNU/Linux as well?  We should probably add
this info to the bug report (CC'ed).

In any case, I think it's GUD that needs to explicitly set the
decoding part of process-coding-system to handle CRLF, either on OS X
or on all platforms.  The two places you show whose changes contribute
to this problem are too general to modify them now in order to solve
this specific problem, IMO.