Subject: Re: bug#57116: cling: missing some system header files

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 11:43:03 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 at 00:25, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Should we close it as 'notabug', or persist with the attempt to wrap the
> cling binary with the include paths required to ease its setup?

>From my understanding about what cling is, we have a similar issue with
some others packages.  Bigloo does not work out of the box [1]:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix shell -C bigloo libunistring gcc-toolchain libgc pcre \
     -- bigloo /tmp/myfile.scm
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Idem for ghc (Haskell) which requires gcc-toolchain.  And I proposed [2]
to have <X>-toolchain for a ready-to-use X compiling toolsuite where
could be cling, ghc, bigloo, etc.

For instance, Debian has haskell-platform which includes all a regular
user needs for a regular Haskell development setup.  And we already
provide gcc-toolchain or clang-toolchain, or even gfortan-toolcahin,
gdc-toolchain, piet-toolchain, etc.  Therefore, we could also have
the package cling-toolchain propagating all the required packages that
we currently have to manually specify i.e. gcc-toolchain.

WDYT?

1: https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]
2: https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]

Cheers,
simon