Subject: bug#5711 closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#5711: 23.1; Customizing the bell)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:40:03 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#5711: 23.1; Customizing the bell

It has been closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
5711: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5711
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#5711: 23.1; Customizing the bell
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 15:39:02 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Barzilay wrote:

> Ah, you're right -- sorry.  Fine to close this bug then.

Subject: 23.1; Customizing the bell
From: Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:54:49 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'd like for my Emacs to sometimes ring the bell as usual, sometimes
flash the screen, and sometimes play a sound.  Currently, I can change
it to do one of these things in the usual way, but I cannot write code
that determines what to do dynamically.  What's missing is a primitive
function to the "real" beep.  Something that would allow me to do
this:

  (setq ring-bell-function
        (lambda ()
          (if (foo)
            (call-process "aplay" nil 0 nil "foo.wav")
            (let ((visible-bell (bar))) (real-ding)))))

(I could do this in a bad way, by installing some hook that will set
`ring-bell-function' and `visible-bell' -- for example in an idle
timer, but the above would be much more convenient.)

-- 
          ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))          Eli Barzilay:
                    http://barzilay.org/                   Maze is Life!