Subject: Re: bug#57102: 29.0.50; Peculiar file-name-split edge case

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 09:20:17 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 23:02:29 -0400
> 
>   > > There's the Posix peculiarity that /abc and //abc are potentially 
>   > > distinct, but ///abc should be equivalent to /abc if I understood it 
>   > > right.
> 
> We don't have to handle them that way in Emacs,
> Emacs has its own rules about what double slashes mean.
> 
> In the GNU Project we do not "obey" standards such as POSIX -- we
> follow them when that seems good for users, and we diverge from them
> when there is a reason to.

That is true, but in this case following Posix _is_ good for the
users, since these file names are used in Real Life.  The Emacs's own
rules about multiple consecutive slashes don't contradict with the
above, because the Emacs rules don't have to apply when the slashes
are at the beginning of a file name.