Subject: bug#57102: 29.0.50; Peculiar file-name-split edge case

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 13:24:30 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Could one instead prefix the list with a symbol (either `absolute' or
>> `relative') to distinguish the two cases.  Or do you think that would
>> just make it more complicated.
>
> I think that just makes it way more complicated to use.

Grepping through emacs.git to see where file-name-split is used, it
seems that all it would change in most cases you'd just require an
additional (cdr ...).  At the same time, there is already an instance in
gnus-search.el that deals with the issue I brought up with the empty
strings.

As another alternative, how about file-name-split takes an optional
argument, and only does what I suggested in that case?  From how I see
file-name-split being used up until now (which doesn't have to mean a
lot), that could be a good compromise.