Subject: 29.0.50; Restore using view-mode in NEWS buffer?

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 10:07:00 +0200

With the new emacs-news-view-mode is there a good reason not to use
view-mode when reading NEWS, as was the case through Emacs 28?  I find
it particularly convenient to type (S-)SPC to scroll and `q' to bury the
buffer.

diff --git a/lisp/textmodes/emacs-news-mode.el b/lisp/textmodes/emacs-news-mode.el
index c7fa9fa2b2..bc2f98a63b 100644
--- a/lisp/textmodes/emacs-news-mode.el
+++ b/lisp/textmodes/emacs-news-mode.el
@@ -94,7 +92,8 @@ emacs-news-view-mode
   (setq buffer-read-only t)
   (emacs-news--buttonize)
   (button-mode)
-  (emacs-news--mode-common))
+  (emacs-news--mode-common)
+  (view-mode))

 (defun emacs-news--fill-paragraph (&optional justify)
   (cond

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-08-08 built on strobelfs2
Repository revision: f1f1912658556e2f2a39cdae0da7ea2b8564d861
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Linux From Scratch r11.0-165

Configured using:
 'configure --with-xinput2 --with-xwidgets 'CFLAGS=-Og -g3'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/qt5/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix