Subject: 29.0.50; (face-at-point nil t) does not return all faces when hl-line-mode is active

From: dalanicolai <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 20:55:13 +0200

Open some elisp (.el) buffer, place the cursor on some fontified keyword
(e.g. 'defun') and do `M-: (face-at-point nil t)`. Now activate `(M-x)
hl-line-mode` and again do `M-: (face-at-point nil t)`. The list shows
only the `hl-line` face, while the function its docstring says it should
return multiple faces.

When edebugging `face-at-point`, even though `hl-line-mode` is active,
the function returns only the char its face (and not `hl-line`).

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34,
cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-06-12 built on fedora
Repository revision: c1829b307cffce046bec6fcbdff03dbab9f4b562
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-cairo --with-native-compilation
 --with-json'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  hl-line-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug comp comp-cstr warnings rx cl-seq
cl-macs cl-extra help-mode message mailcap yank-media rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils hl-line vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs cl-lib seq gv subr-x
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic indonesian
philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face
macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 89094 14677)
 (symbols 48 7738 0)
 (strings 32 21901 915)
 (string-bytes 1 769799)
 (vectors 16 16342)
 (vector-slots 8 317353 20223)
 (floats 8 30 95)
 (intervals 56 499 5)
 (buffers 992 15))