Subject: bug#57082: 29.0.50; emacs-news-view-mode breakage

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 17:03:25 -0700

On 8/9/2022 1:18 PM, Stephen Berman wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 22:18:21 +0300 Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> I noticed more problems: arrow directions are inverted - when an outline
>> is hidden the arrow direction is open; when it's shown then the button has
>> the closed state.
> 
> The arrows behave the same as in *Help* with describe-bindings:
> outline-close (downward-pointing) when the body is hidden, outline-open
> (leftward-pointing) when the body is shown.  Is that wrong?

I think that's wrong, yes. Every GUI I'm familiar with does it the other 
way:

   > Closed Item
   v Open Item
     > Closed Sub Item

This is the visual style used in GNOME (at least, the theme I'm using), 
MS Windows, macOS, Firefox/Thunderbird, and probably others. More 
importantly, it's also the style Emacs already uses elsewhere: see the 
Customize UI.

The only other style I've seen is "-" for open items and "+" for closed 
(because clicking "+" will *add* the children to the UI and "-" will 
*remove* them). Emacs does that in the speedbar, for example.

>> It would be nicer if the color of the button depended on the outline's color,
>> e.g. blue for the top-level blue outline face, etc.
> 
> I guess that would require using suitable images rather than emojis.

Images would be nice; Emacs already has some for the Customize UI that 
could be reused.

For the NEWS file though (and especially programming modes). I still 
think it'd be great to put the buttons in the fringe. That way the 
buttons would never disrupt the contents of the file, e.g. by changing 
how the indentation looks.

However, describe-bindings probably wants the buttons in the body, so 
this would be yet another option, which adds complexity/maintenance 
burden...