Subject: Re: bug#57081: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Point associated with Window for good reasons

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 19:53:48 +0300

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 08:01:57 -0400
> 
> We regularly split the same buffer across two windows (C-x 2) and
> position one window as a reference while manipulating the other.
> 
> When temporarily switching out one window, say to check a definition,
> our flow gets wrecked by C-x b's refusal to flip back to the original
> buffer since it's already displayed in another window, albeit, and
> very importantly, at a different point (which to belabor things, is
> the whole reason we want the same buffer in two windows).

But if you then insist on switching to that same buffer (which "C-x b"
doesn't refuse, it just doesn't offer it as the default, but you can
bring it up by M-p/M-n in the minibuffer at the prompt), then you will
be shown that buffer at the point you last displayed in that window,
which is what you want.

So I'm not sure what you are trying to fix here, and your description
stops short of telling that.