Subject: bug#57081: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Point associated with Window for good reasons

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 15:06:53 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > No, that's M-p.  M-n is "future history", it's invented by Emacs.
>> 
>> If I select a buffer via `C-x C-b', `C-x 2', `C-x b RET', `C-x b M-n'
>> just says "End of history" -- in ido.  But in "emacs -Q", hitting `M-n'
>> twice does get me to the same buffer, like you say.
>> 
>> So I guess this should just be fixed in ido somehow?
>
> Yes, I think so.  Maybe they override M-n?  (I don't use ido.)

`M-n' doesn't quite fit in with how ido works -- its thing is that it
always shows you a number of candidates you choose between using the
arrow keys.

Hm...  oh!  Playing with this a bit more, it seems like ido is doing
something similar as `M-n'.  If you hit

C-x b
<right>
<right>

you get the buffer name that was shown in the window earlier -- I
haven't noticed that before.

So there does indeed not seem to be anything to fix here.