Subject: Re: elogind-service specifies a variable that's ignored by defualt

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 12:45:10 +0200

Am Sonntag, dem 07.08.2022 um 23:29 +0000 schrieb Cairn:
> "HandleLidSwitchExternalPower= is completely ignored by default (for
> backwards compatibility)"[1]
> 
> I noticed (with help in IRC) that my laptop wasn't suspending on lid
> close when plugged in and charging, which I hadn't seen happen on
> other systems. I now know that I can set this by configuring the
> `elogind-service` parameter `handle-lid-switch-external-power`.
> Regardless, it seems like it should default to being unset rather
> than set/ignored, since that would heed the line I quoted above.
I think you're misreading that line.  What it states is not that
"HandleLidSwitchExternalPower" is ignored by default, but
"HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=" is ignored by default, i.e. there will
be no value unless one was provided (whichever semantics "no value" has
later on) is only confusingly explained later on.

IMHO the Guix behaviour of always setting a value is the right one
(explicit is better than implicit after all).  As for the default
values, one might disagree as to which fits, but I don't think ignoring
lid switches while powered is harmful.

Cheers