Subject: Re: [bug#57050] [PATCH v2 04/13] gnu: Add Zuo.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 11:20:25 +0200

> [...]
> I will use GUIX_SH in v3 of this series.
>
> My concern with it originally was that it's generic enough that it might be used in other ways elsewhere in Guix, but, since I'm hoping it's only going to be a medium-term solution, it seems good enough, and I haven't heard any objections to it.
_PATH_BSHELL seems better to me, as it is not Guix-specific and does not 
require adding preprocessor arguments. Even simpler would be to 
substitute* the /bin/sh to (search-input-file inputs "bin/sh") like done 
for other packages.

I have previously objected to it, though not explicitly:

> I haven't been following the discussion on the other patches, but 
> didn't I give an example of something independent of the Racket 
> component in use and even independent of Racket itself? See the 
> suggestion of using the already existing _PATH_BSHELL from <paths.h>. 
> It's even not Guix-specific, apparently it's a BSD-ism!
>
I don't see the point of a GUIX_SH macro when the standard-ish 
_PATH_BSHELL appears to suffice.

On 23-08-2022 03:40, Philip McGrath wrote:
> First of all, I have found that there*is*  another Unix-like system where "/bin/sh" doesn't exist: on Android, the POSIX shell is usually at "/system/bin/sh". Also, at least on some versions, _PATH_BSHELL isn't a compile-time constant. It is:
>
>      #define _PATH_BSHELL __bionic_get_shell_path()

Looking at the patch, it not being a compile-time constant does not 
appear to be a problem to me.

Greetings,
Maxime.