Subject: bug#57046: Spanish documentation uses exclusive language

From: Jean Pierre De Jesus DIAZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:08:01 +0000

>Just a thought, but maybe it shouldn't be a group of men who decides
>what language is and is not inclusive and whether that's important.
>We've had some Outreachy interns, maybe some of them wouldn't mind being
>consulted on this.

Inclusion through exclusion, this is just sending the messages that men
bad anything else better. That just spreads hate for no particular reason.

I doubt that a lot of people translate the Guix manual to Spanish, so,
it probably wasn't even discussed or decided by anyone, let them be
women, men or non-binary.

And yes, language changes through use, but forcing it isn't the way,
people use the language and it naturally adapts, and if inclusive
language like using the letter "e" to make words neutral is going to
be used it has to be justified, I don't think that there's justification
to do so, or that anyone complained, there's not even people complaining
for other languages that use masculine words.

And yes, using "usuarios y usuarias" excludes non-binary people, that's
a limitation of the language and nothing can be done about it unless
everyday people start using it (read again, using it, not forcing it
onto people).

And in justification, I mean, real world data, statistics of people using
it or willing to do so.

To clarify I'm not against change, but I'm against forcing it. Nothing else.

Anyway, all people are welcome to discuss this.

And the fact that no one started an edit war on Weblate says it all, no men
is deciding anything. I personally want to know the reasoning behind it
and if it was discussed and not abused for personal reasons or a movement.

>I can’t really judge but don’t believe their and Ludo’s proposal “les
>usuaries” is really perceived neutral and acceptable.  (To Spanish
>speakers: What do psychologists say?  Does it appear feminine to you?)

It doesn't feel feminine or masculine, so I guess it's neutral. But the fact
that it makes text hard to read. I'd say that anyone can try doing a Stroop
test to feel the same in their own language to.

I say this being a neuro-typical person. I don't think forcing the "e" is
going to make it easier for neuro-divergent people.

—
Jean-Pierre De Jesus DIAZ