Subject: bug#57046: Spanish documentation uses exclusive language

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 20:54:20 +0200

Hi all,

On 2022-08-09 22:02, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> There has been plenty of debate elsewhere; no need to bother; I guess
> there won’t be consensus. […] Could the bug be closed soon?

I'm torn.  I added & removed ‘-close’ a few times just now.

The initial post was doomed to be flame bate because of the subject 
matter, but was probably in good faith, apart from the title.

If it wasn't, it can be reinterpreted that way, and since when does 
authorial intent matter… :-)

But then, as deterministic dominoes in motion, we follow the unavoidable 
and predictable path downward.  Guix should follow my arbitrary grammar 
rules! — no it shouldn't.  Guix must listen only to my chosen 
demographic! — no it shouldn't.  Gender-neutral language is offensive to 
sexists! — good.

Notably scarce are arguments that actually stand on their own, that can 
help build a (new) consensus if you disagree with the current 
translation.

I don't speak much Spanish, but Ludo's suggestions sound great to me.  
How about we turn them into guidelines and add them to Contributing?

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.