Subject: Re: bug#57044: 29.0.50; tramp-error: Reading directory: Permission denied, /scp:motorolausb:/storage/emulated/0/

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 10:57:38 +0200

Jean Louis <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jean,

When you submit a new bug report, and you want to Cc somebody, could you
please use the X-Debbugs-Cc header as indicated in
admin/notes/bugtracker? Otherwise, a simple reply to your report would
generate a new bug report.

> Cannot access file or directory: Reading directory: Permission denied, /scp:motorolausb:/storage/emulated/0/
> tramp-error: Reading directory: Permission denied, /scp:motorolausb:/storage/emulated/0/
>
> This happens with any of my Android devices. It simply was not there
> before. If I enter with ssh in Terminal, I can access directories and
> files just normally. I assume this must be bug in Tramp.

I've tried to reproduce the problem on my Galaxy S6, installing
SimpleSSHD. However, I fail, because the shell refuses to operate
properly with the message

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
sh: can't create temporary file /data/local/shdcrbul.tmp: Permission denied
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Environment variable TMPDIR is set:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
1|zeroflte:/data/data/org.galexander.sshd/files $ env | grep TMPDIR
TMPDIR=/data/local/tmp
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Do you know which setup on my Galaxy I need in order to get the shell
working?  Do you have some special settings in order to let sshd running
on your Android devices?

Anyway, pls do the usual steps for Tramp errors:

- Run <emacs -Q --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 10)'>
- Apply the needed steps to reproduce the problem
- Report exactly those steps, and send the resulting Tramp debug buffer.

Best regards, Michael.