Subject: Re: bug#57039: `make check' yields two failed tests.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:44:26 +0200

On 09-08-2022 15:50, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> +                      (entry (tag "tag-for-first-news-entry")
>> +                             (title (en "Old news.") (eo "Malnova?oj."))
> The question mark here suggests you’re not running the tests with a
> UTF-8 locale.
>
> Could you add, say, ‘glibc-locales’ to your environment, ensure
> GUIX_LOCPATH points to it, and set LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 (or similar)?
>
Two comments:

If tests require an UTF-8 locale, I think the tests (maybe in 
build-aux/test-driver.scm?) should check that an UTF-8 that an UTF-8 
locale is actually in use and otherwise bail out properly.

It's not a file-name but rather the contents of the news file, so I 
would think we are just forgetting to pass some arguments like 
#:encoding "UTF-8" -- making the interpretation of the news file depend 
on the current locale doesn't seem good to me (it's encoding on stdout 
with "guix pull --news" is another matter).

Greetings,
Maxime.