Subject: bug#57037: closed (Re: bug#57037: Package `guile-newt' cannot be cross-compiled)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 08:59:02 +0000

Your bug report

#57037: Package `guile-newt' cannot be cross-compiled

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
57037: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57037
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#57037: Package `guile-newt' cannot be cross-compiled
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: Jean Pierre De Jesus DIAZ <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 10:58:30 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

> The `guile-newt' package that is used for the installation UI can't
> be cross-compiled as it tries to load the `newt' dynamic library when
> the Guile code is compiled. I've tried to find a solution/fix but I
> don't know much about how Guile byte-code compilation works.

Fixed with bde902cb78c529174155e2d46ed814123182619f.

> I think this is one of the last remaining bits before being able to
> fully cross compile an installation image.

I think that guile-parted will also be problematic.

Thanks,

Mathieu

Subject: Package `guile-newt' cannot be cross-compiled
From: Jean Pierre De Jesus DIAZ <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 13:00:53 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The `guile-newt' package that is used for the installation UI can't
be cross-compiled as it tries to load the `newt' dynamic library when
the Guile code is compiled. I've tried to find a solution/fix but I
don't know much about how Guile byte-code compilation works.

The compilation error can be reproduced with (#56536 was pushed a few
hours ago, so a git pull may be needed):

./pre-inst-env guix build guile-newt --target=aarch64-linux-gnu

I think this is one of the last remaining bits before being able to
fully cross compile an installation image.

—
Jean-Pierre De Jesus DIAZ