Subject: bug#57035: Support for site-load.el in native-compile dumping

From: Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 09:16:11 -0400

On Sun, Aug 7, 2022, 8:55 AM Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Lynn Winebarger <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > +. Add a flag variable to turn off the docstring hack in lead.c once
> > loadup has been processed (or eliminate the hack entirely).
>
> The hack has been removed on the trunk.
>
> > I think that covers all the issues I dealt with.  If my employer
> > allows I can donate code to fix the purecopy issues in versions prior
> > to 29.
>
> As I think Eli has said before, changes in this area are not going to be
> backported to earlier Emacs versions, so you should just concentrate on
> Emacs 29.

The code fixing the limitations and bugs of purecopy (at least the ones
triggered while dumping a large variety of loaded libraries) has already
been implemented for 28.1 on my employer's systems.  If they are willing to
donate it (less than 100 lines of C), I'll post a patch.  Even if it won't
be incorporated in the Emacs distribution, Linux vendors who are
conservative in the version of Emacs they package may choose to use it in
their builds.  Aside from supporting bool vectors and strings with text
properties in pure space, it fixes a couple of fatal bugs that can be
triggered while dumping - one segfault and one runaway allocation.

Lynn