Subject: Re: bug#57012: Activating versus raising frames

From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 00:59:03 -0400

On August 7, 2022 00:29:36 Po Lu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Then emit an error message at runtime if you detect them running on
>> X11 telling users that things will mysteriously. To let them build
>> and run pgtk initially, then get frustrated with a few edge cases, is
>> doing them a disservice. They're not going to read that
>> documentation.
>
> Why won't they?

Because, as a pragmatic matter, they don't. We're lucky if users read fatal 
error messages. People don't have time to trawl through documentation 
before trying something. They read about some cool new compilation mode on 
Reddit (scanning just the post titles of course), them try it. It's not 
that they're dumb. They've busy. It doesn't matter whether some file 
somewhere says a scenario isn't supported: users are going to try that 
scenario anyway if it plausibly looks like it might work, and when it 
doesn't, they're going to think less of the whole project. I'd feel much 
better if pgtk simply refused to start under X (explaining that it's not 
supported) than silently give users a poor experience.