Subject: bug#57003: 28.1.90; Can local variables be loaded before loading major mode?

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 06:24:43 +0000

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> The problem is not that the variables are set too late,it's that you
> fold too early: the folding should not to take place from within
> `org-mode` but instead `org-mode` should add the folding function to
> `hack-local-variables-hook`.
>
> What you request is a common need, and `hack-local-variables-hook` is
> the standard answer.

I guess that it can be an option. Though such hook will also need to be
guarded against repetitive execution (if `hack-local-variables' is
called by some minor mode or a command).

However, pretty much all the BODY in Org major mode definition will need
to go into the hook. It feels awkward.

Will moving the whole major mode definition into
`hack-local-variables-hook' be safe?

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>