Subject: make: No such file or directory after `rm loaddefs-gen.elc`

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 12:06:09 +0200

When I do this to force a recompile of loaddefs-gen.elc:

    rm lisp/emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.elc; make -j8

I get the following:

Error: file-missing ("Cannot open load file" "No such file or
directory" "./emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.elc")
  debug-early-backtrace()
  debug-early(error (file-missing "Cannot open load file" "No such
file or directory" "./emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.elc"))
  command-line-1(("-l" "./emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.elc" "-f"
"loaddefs-generate--emacs-batch" "." "./calc" "./calendar" "./cedet"
"./cedet/ede" "./cedet/semantic" "./cedet/semantic/analyze"
"./cedet/semantic/bovine" "./cedet/semantic/decorate"
"./cedet/semantic/symref" "./cedet/semantic/wisent" "./cedet/srecode"
"./emacs-lisp" "./emulation" "./erc" "./eshell" "./gnus" "./image"
"./international" "./language" "./leim" "./leim/ja-dic" "./leim/quail"
"./mail" "./mh-e" "./net" "./nxml" "./org" "./play" "./progmodes"
"./textmodes" "./url" "./vc"))
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, ./emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.elc
make[1]: *** [Makefile:192: autoloads] Error 255
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/skangas/wip/emacs/lisp'
make: *** [Makefile:456: lisp] Error 2

I guess it's fixed by this, but it'd be better to byte-compile it:

diff --git a/lisp/Makefile.in b/lisp/Makefile.in
index fc05d39d2a..68bb5f28b1 100644
--- a/lisp/Makefile.in
+++ b/lisp/Makefile.in
@@ -190,7 +190,7 @@ org-manuals:
 # "all" dependency.
 autoloads:
 	$(AM_V_GEN)$(emacs) \
-            -l $(lisp)/emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.elc \
+	    -l $(lisp)/emacs-lisp/loaddefs-gen.el \
 	    -f loaddefs-generate--emacs-batch ${SUBDIRS_ALMOST}

 # autoloads always runs, but only updates when there's something new.