Subject: Re: bug#56998: 29.0.50; quail input methods broken (input-method-alist empty) on master (since 261d6afd6)

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 19:28:50 +0300

Eli Zaretskii [2022-08-05 16:46 +0300] wrote:

>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 15:14:38 +0200
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Is the file lisp/leim/leim-list.el being produced and exists when
>> > Emacs is dumped?
>> 
>> Yup.  So I guess the problem is that the first build isn't loading that
>> file, for some reason?
>
> Maybe.  But how can it not load that file, when loadup.el explicitly
> says to load it?

With the following print-debug patch:

diff --git a/lisp/loadup.el b/lisp/loadup.el
index 8dad382ac0..88bf1c20b4 100644
--- a/lisp/loadup.el
+++ b/lisp/loadup.el
@@ -376,7 +376,8 @@
 
 ;; This file doesn't exist when building a development version of Emacs
 ;; from the repository.  It is generated just after temacs is built.
-(load "leim/leim-list.el" t)
+(or (load "leim/leim-list.el" t)
+    (message ">>> load-path %S" load-path))
 
 ;; If you want additional libraries to be preloaded and their
 ;; doc strings kept in the DOC file rather than in core,

I get the following build log:

I.e. before the first dump the load-path is:

  ("/home/blc/.local/src/emacs/lisp"
   "/home/blc/.local/src/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp"
   "/home/blc/.local/src/emacs/lisp/progmodes"
   "/home/blc/.local/src/emacs/lisp/language"
   "/home/blc/.local/src/emacs/lisp/international"
   "/home/blc/.local/src/emacs/lisp/textmodes"
   "/home/blc/.local/src/emacs/lisp/vc")

And before the second dump:

  ("/home/blc/.local/src/emacs/lisp")

After the build is done we get:

0. ./src/emacs -Q
1. C-\ TAB
   [No match]
2. C-g
3. M-: input-method-alist RET
   nil
4. M-: (seq-find (apply-partially #'string-search "leim") load-path)
   "/home/blc/.local/src/emacs/lisp/leim"

> What is the contents of that file in a build where input-method-alist
> is empty?

Here's ~blc/.local/src/emacs/lisp/leim/leim-list.el:

> And could it be that the file is generated only after Emacs was
> already built/dumped?

My reading of the log suggests it must be.

HTH,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2022-08-05 built on tia
Repository revision: df263dd7586436b06262e32aa3614e11ed3a6182
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101004
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure CC=gcc-12 'CFLAGS=-Og -ggdb3' --config-cache
 --prefix=/home/blc/.local --enable-checking=structs
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 36414 7374)
 (symbols 48 5077 0)
 (strings 32 13787 1589)
 (string-bytes 1 376470)
 (vectors 16 9191)
 (vector-slots 8 145276 11559)
 (floats 8 23 25)
 (intervals 56 240 0)
 (buffers 992 11))