Subject: Re: bug#56997: [PATCH] Analogue of project-shell for Python

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 12:40:30 -0400

> The Python shell already allows a shell to be "dedicated" to a buffer.
> This patch adds the option to create a shell dedicated to a project, as
> well as the option to make all Python shells dedicated by default.
>
> Stefan: you mentioned python.el could use project.el without a hard
> dependency, so it remains compatible with old Emacsen.  Is this a good
> approach?  (Also: the added seq dependency is kinda superfluous now, but
> it's nice to have it available for future developments as well.)

I must admit that I don't really know how important is the ability to
install python.el in older Emacsen.  I know the maintainers of python.el
want it to be possible, but that doesn't preclude depending on `seq.el`
and `project.el` since those are also available on GNU ELPA.  But it
does make it less convenient for the end user, so whether that matters
depends on its importance.

I suggested a "soft" dependency as a possible choice, without implying
it's necessarily better or worse, sorry :-(

But, FWIW the patch looks good to me.

> -;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "24.4") (cl-lib "1.0"))

BTW, Emacs-24.3 already provides cl-lib-1.0 so we can drop `cl-lib` from
this line.

        Stefan