Subject: Re: [bug#56987] [PATCH] etc: guix-debbugs.el: new file.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 20:39:28 +0000

August 10, 2022 4:24 PM, "Maxime Devos" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 10-08-2022 22:10, jbranso--- via Guix-patches via wrote:
> 
>> I am willing to submit copyright assignment to GNU/FSF. It looks like the FSF
>> has a webpage that may make this process easier:
>> 
>> https://sfconservancy.org/assignment
> 
> GNU and FSF are separate (but related!) entities, they aren't synonyms.
> For example, I do some things in GNU (in mu case: GNUnet, Guix and Guix)
> but I'm not involved with FSF at all, except for asking a question once
> or twice of FSF people.

Thanks for the clarification!

> Also, the Software Freedom Conservancy is a different organization than
> the FSF. You will need a different assignment form, contact the
> emacs-debbugs people for details.

Ah, you're right! from
https://sfconservancy.org/news/2022/may/02/conservancy-launches-copyright-assignment-system

"The self-service system enables developers to entrust their copyrights
to Software Freedom Conservancy, ..."  NOT the FSF.  Bummer.

> I haven't been following 56987 100%, but a remark:
> 
> Guix does not require copyright assignment. Copyright assignment is only
> required if you sent changes to Emacs or emacs-debbugs upstream instead
> of a local Guix patch or file. That would something to discuss with
> Emacs or emacs-debbugs people though, not Guix.

That's what I mentioned in the above previous email.  

Some emacs-debbugs contributors have expressed an interest in adding in my
patch to debbugs.el directly.  They would require an assignment to the FSF. 
:)

Which thanks to Maxime, I now know that I have to email the FSF!

Also thanks for the reminder Maxime. I am adding Lars to the email chain. 
He's a co-author of debbugs I believe.

> Greetings,
> Maxime.