Subject: bug#56977: closed (Re: bug#56977: 29.0.50; gnus-parameter-to-list is ignored for digest groups)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 20:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#56977: 29.0.50; gnus-parameter-to-list is ignored for digest groups

which was filed against the emacs,gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
56977: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56977
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#56977: 29.0.50; gnus-parameter-to-list is ignored for digest groups
From: Jakub Ječmínek <[email-masked]>
To: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 20:03:46 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:

> I set
>
> gnus-parameter-to-list-alist
> ==> (("gmane.comp.security.risks" "[email-masked]"))
>
> and
>
> gnus-newsgroup-name
> ==> "nndoc:gmane.comp.security.risks-1049"
>
> (because it is a digest group) but still
>
> (gnus-parameter-to-list gnus-newsgroup-name)
> ==> "[email-masked]"
>
> However, when I do `f' (`gnus-summary-followup') in the
>
> gnus-summary-buffer
> ==> #<buffer *Summary nndoc:gmane.comp.security.risks-1049*>
>
> the header of the `gnus-message-buffer' (`*unsent ...') contains
>
> Newsgroups: gmane.comp.security.risks
>
> instead of
>
> CC: [email-masked]

Hello Sam, thanks for the bug report.  You're seeing this behaviour
because you're using 'nndoc' backend instead of 'nntp'. The
documentation says that

  `to-list' address will be used when doing a `a' in the group.

  It is totally ignored when doing a followup--except that if it is
  present in a news group, you'll get mail group semantics when doing
  `f'.

(info "(Gnus) Group Parameters")

I've tested it with 'nntp' backend and it works fine.  I'm going to
close this bug report, however if you think this should be reopened,
please tell me.

Best

Jakub

Subject: 29.0.50; gnus-parameter-to-list is ignored for digest groups
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 10:53:27 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I set

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
gnus-parameter-to-list-alist
==> (("gmane.comp.security.risks" "[email-masked]"))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
gnus-newsgroup-name
==> "nndoc:gmane.comp.security.risks-1049"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

(because it is a digest group) but still

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(gnus-parameter-to-list gnus-newsgroup-name)
==> "[email-masked]"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

However, when I do `f' (`gnus-summary-followup') in the

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
gnus-summary-buffer
==> #<buffer *Summary nndoc:gmane.comp.security.risks-1049*>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

the header of the `gnus-message-buffer' (`*unsent ...') contains

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.security.risks
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

instead of

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
CC: [email-masked]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thank you!

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin21.5.0, NS appkit-2113.50 Version 12.4 (Build 21F79))
 of 2022-08-01 built on 3c22fb11fdab.ant.amazon.com
Repository revision: 3bd9b6132f1122ea938ef65e62b2cd919e2dfe8a
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.4

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH='

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug pulse kmacro url-http url-auth url-gw rot13
bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 flow-fill mm-archive nndoc tramp-cmds
skeleton cal-move cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam dabbrev gnus-fun sort
smiley gnus-cite textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping uni-confusable
textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-dup qp mail-extr gnus-ml
hl-line disp-table spam spam-stat gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg utf-7 gnus-cache
bbdb-gnus network-stream nsm nntp smtpmail supercite regi rmailsum rmail
mh-e mh-compat mh-buffers mh-loaddefs tempo compat-macs js ein-process
ein-jupyter ein-dev ein-notebook ein-python-send ein-traceback
ein-pytools ein-pager ein-completer ein-notification ein-scratchsheet
ein-worksheet poly-ein display-line-numbers quail ein-kill-ring ein-cell
ein-kernelinfo ein-notebooklist ein-contents-api ein-file
ein-shared-output ein-output-area ein-kernel ein-ipdb ein-query
ein-events ein-websocket websocket ein-node ein-log ein-classes ein-core
request ein-utils anaphora deferred ein let-alist async f f-shortdoc
dash visual-fill-column ham-mode markdown-mode html-to-markdown polymode
polymode-base polymode-weave polymode-export polymode-compat
polymode-methods ert debug backtrace trace poly-lock polymode-core
polymode-classes eieio-custom eieio-base color autorevert ediff
ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util vlf vlf-base vlf-tune bindat compat cl-print misearch
multi-isearch shortdoc package-x package add-log vc-hg vc-bzr
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
tramp-compat shell ls-lisp remember texinfo texinfo-loaddefs cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs conf-mode make-mode view emacs-news-mode org-element avl-tree
ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus
nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file url-dired svg dom browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail mailcap
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ol-docview doc-view filenotify
jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi
org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 ol rx org-keys oc org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func holidays holiday-loaddefs cal-x
bbdb-anniv cal-iso cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian solar cal-dst appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs bug-reference
flyspell ispell sh-script smie executable vc-dir ewoc vc company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-clang company-template
company-cmake company-bbdb yasnippet-snippets cl-extra yasnippet
flymake-proc flymake thingatpt company-capf company pcase help-fns
radix-tree help-mode elpy elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util elpy-shell
elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor ido hideshow files-x etags
fileloop generator xref project cus-edit pp cus-start python vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
midnight warnings icons gnus nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils
range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb
bbdb-site timezone edit-server advice server winner which-func imenu
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
url-vars help-at-pt grep compile text-property-search comint ansi-color
ring desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-load info bbdb-autoloads
ein-autoloads elpy-autoloads company-autoloads async-autoloads
f-autoloads dash-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads request-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads compat-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads rmc
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1129282 133766)
 (symbols 48 50130 25)
 (strings 32 305493 23417)
 (string-bytes 1 9319889)
 (vectors 16 127442)
 (vector-slots 8 2645064 262356)
 (floats 8 1247 928)
 (intervals 56 24396 5155)
 (buffers 992 103))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.2113
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://www.dhimmitude.org https://iris.org.il https://memri.org
Your mouse pad is incompatible with MS Windows - your HD will be reformatted.