Subject: bug#56976: 29.0.50; Obsolete netrc.el

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 16:37:26 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lars,

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> It'd be nice to obsolete netrc.el, since the functionality is duplicated
>> by auth-source, and is broken for non-ASCII chars etc.
>>
>> There's only one in-tree usage of netrc-parse, and that's in
>> tramp-parse-netrc.  This could be changed to use
>> `auth-source-netrc-parse' instead, but in earlier versions of that
>> function, it'd return nil when not specifying the host/user/ports, which
>> made it not quite compatible.  I've now changed that, but I'm not sure
>> what the compat situation is here (i.e., if this Tramp has to work in
>> older Emacs versions or not).

*This Tramp* has to work back with Emacs 26. Don't worry, I will check
the compatibility status after your commit, and adjust as needed.

> (Adding Michael to the CCs.)

I'm scanning all new messages in the groups I read on gmane for some
buzzwords, like "tramp". Those messages will be presented to me first :-)

Thanks to automated gnus-summary-search-article-forward.

Best regards, Michael.