Subject: Re: bug#56967: 29.0.50; Frequent crashes under Wayland

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 14:53:19 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> How about asking the glibc developers to provide one, citing this very
> use case as the real-life problem to solve?  Specifically, what I'd
> like to do in that hook is to shut down Emacs in an orderly manner, so
> that the user won't lose all his/her edits.

By running the code inside `shut_down_emacs'? I will indeed ask for such
a hook.

>> > Or maybe GTK has some knob to let it call us before it calls _exit?
>> 
>> Nope, GTK simply does this:
>> 
>>   if (wl_display_flush (display->wl_display) < 0)
>>     {
>>       g_message ("Error flushing display: %s", g_strerror (errno));
>>       _exit (1);
>>     }
>> 
>> if (for example) wl_display_flush, a low-level Wayland interface, fails
>> from an IO error.
>
> Amazing.  Where did those people learn to develop friendly, extensible
> libraries? in what tyrannical culture?

I'd say their culture has changed in the past decade and is now pretty
close to Apple's.  Unfortunately, Wayland is gaining popularity (as
evidenced by the amount of our users who report related bugs), and GTK
is the only toolkit that provides useful support for it.