Subject: Re: [bug#56960] [PATCH] * gnu: Add siglo.

From: Jaft <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 02:02:50 +0000 (UTC)

Just checking back in on this one.

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 01:33:59 PM CDT, Wamm K. D. <[email-masked]> wrote: 

On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:56:00 +0000,
Jean Pierre De Jesus DIAZ wrote:
> 
> You'll probably want to use a list (argument (list ...)) instead of
> quasi-quoting, and also, use G-Expressions

Makes sense; adjusted.

> >+  (synopsis "GTK app to sync InfiniTime watch with PinePhone")
> 
> GTK is an implementation detail, no need to be specified, and if necessary,
> better suited for the description.

That makes sense though, as a disabled person, I would warn that the
level of non-specificity can make things more difficult, as well. A
synopsis such as "Smartwatch synchronization application" is so
non-specific that, if I already know I'm looking for such an
application, I'm forced to dig through the much more detailed
description to figure out if it's relevant to my particular smartwatch.

This creates extra steps and more cognitive overload whereas a phrase
such as "InfiniTime watch", while dealing with the implementation,
allows me to easily tell whether this /particular/ smartphone
sync. app. has to do with the device I'm trying to use and, now, I can
take a look at the description to see if it has the features, etc. I want.

Otherwise, I have to look at the description of every smartphone
sync. app. (and all of the extra energy/effort could be for naught if
none of the smartphone sync. app.s available on Guix, at the moment,
deal with the smartwatch brand or OS that I'm looking for (like, say,
WaspOS for the PineTime).

This isn't at its absolute worst with the Guix CLI but, when a GUI is
made (say, in the style of Synaptic), it could be designed that the
packages and their synopses are first displayed and one has to click
on the package to see the description or expand it in some
manner. This increases the effort beyond just cognitive but to an
additional task.

I'm going to go with "Synchronize InfiniTime watch with PinePhone" as
mentioning the OS allows the user to know whether it's relevant to
their particular watch while the inclusion of the word "watch" lets
those who are unfamiliar with the tech. know that "InfiniTime" is
related to watches and watches are, in some way, involved.

> >+  (description "@code{siglo} is a graphical tool to flash InfiniTime firmware to
> >+watches running the InfiniTime operating system, via bluetooth.
> 
> flash -> update (non-technical term).
> watches -> PineTime watches (or PineTime smartwatches).
> bluetooth > Bluetooth.

No disagreements here; this is definitely clearer ("update", in
particular, as, while flashing is /how/ we update things, the really
relevant bit is that we're updating to a newer version; this phrasing
is much more clear).

I opted for "smartwatches" as the terminology is more specific and
accurate (without any more cognitive strain or processing).

> sync -> synchronize.

Makes sense and done.

> Maybe @itemize or @enumerate could be used to list the features provided

Yeah; that's much more clear to read and easily digest. Done.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 14:00:00 -0500,
Maxime Devos wrote:
> 
> > +    (propagated-inputs (list gtk+))
> 
> ... why is it propagated?

That's…a fair question; I could've sworn I'd been told, before, to
propagate =gtk+= but, looking through past E-mails, I can't find
anything to support that. Maybe I confused ~propagated-inputs~ and
~inputs~, for some reason.

In any case, I've corrected that.

> For GUIX_PYTHONPATH, search-path-as-list can be useful (and slightly
> less fragile, as it does not depend on labels).

Are you able to demonstrate what this might look like, especially with
in the context of using G-Expressions?

I couldn't find any examples of ~search-path-as-list~ in the
repo. which easily made this clear to me, unfortunately.

Thanks a ton.