Subject: bug#56896: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Make the bookmark fringe icon look like a bookmark

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:42:22 -0700

On 8/2/2022 7:23 PM, Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army 
knife of text editors wrote:
> What build of Emacs are you using?
> I see that the background of the fringe bitmap doesn't match the fringe
> itself, which is usually a bug.

I think you're correct that it's a bug, although it looks like a fairly 
simple one. Here's the relevant bit from the definition of `bookmark-face':

     (((class color)
       (background light))
      :background "White" :foreground "DarkOrange1")
     (((class color)
       (background dark))
      :background "Black" :foreground "DarkOrange1"))

The :background should probably be removed and replaced with 
:distant-foreground (I assume the :background was specified just in case 
the default background was too close to DarkOrange1, so we shouldn't 
regress that).

I can fix this part at the same time as the rest of this bug. Thanks for 
pointing it out, since I probably would have glossed over this entirely 
otherwise (I don't usually use the default theme, so I hadn't seen this 
issue before).