Subject: bug#56870: [PATCH] Re: bug#56870: company-dabbrev variable documentation

From: Matt Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 10:48:47 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 19:06:36 +0300
>> From:  YE via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> My take on the 'Init File' docs improvement is attached.
>
> Thanks.  However, this basically adds to the Emacs manual stuff whose
> place is in the ELisp manual.  So I'm not sure we should start on this
> slippery slope.  Users who need to write complex Lisp in their init
> files need to read the ELisp manual anyway.

Eli, perhaps a single link to the ELisp manual near the beginning of
"(emacs) Init Syntax" would be acceptable?  The section is describing a
small subset of lisp, so I think such a link would be useful there.
(Way back when I was first learning Emacs it took me quite a while
before I realized that the ELisp manual existed at all.)

I tend to agree with you that "(emacs) Init Syntax" isn't a great place
to describe how various lisp constructs appear in help text, since it
its focus is how to write lisp code.  I would think that belongs
somewhere under "(emacs) Help".