Subject: Re: bug#56870: company-dabbrev variable documentation

From: Matt Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 10:09:30 -0700

[email-masked] writes:

> Aug 3, 2022, 18:41 by [email-masked]:
>
>> I think the maintainers are quite receptive to improvements like
>> this.
>
> I completely disagree.  The experience with maintainers has shown how
> unreceptive they often get towards improvements like this.  Lars
> thought there isn't anything to fix in Emacs and decided to close this
> bug report.

I think reasonable people can disagree about what is and is not a
problem, is or is not an improvement, or even misunderstand eachother
entirely.  Sometimes patience and additional explanations are the way to
move forward.

In this case, I agree with Lars that the company-dabbrev docstring is
consistent with Emacs' usual way of writing docstrings.  I don't
actually see a clear way to improve the one docstring in isolation
without it becoming inconsistent with the rest of Emacs.  And so, I
would expect any improvement here to involve some discussion, since the
path forward isn't obvious.