Subject: Re: bug#56870: company-dabbrev variable documentation

From: Matt Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 14:49:15 -0700

uzibalqa <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Monday, August 1st, 2022 at 9:24 PM, Matt Armstrong <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Hope that helps!
>
> It is a shame that documentation does not come with example.  It is
> what is much lacking.

I think the "friendly" way to customize Emacs is intended to be the
customization system:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Easy-Customization.html
In most cases, the customize interface hides lisp level details from the
user.

There is project level goal that most of the useful customizations a
user can do in Emacs should be possible in the customize system, without
using lisp.  This is one reason the help text does not often describe
things with Lisp examples.  They would be of no use to the people using
the Customize interface, and possibly even confusing.

I still think your original point is a good one. I found the one piece
of documentation explaining how to write quoted things in Emacs
documentation, but I could not find a place explaining the conventions
for quoted things mean in Emacs help.  Perhaps another person can find
that, or suggest a way to explain it to new users.