Subject: bug#56845: unclear error message: No route to host

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 17:04:31 +0200

Hi,

Csepp <[email-masked]> skribis:

> guix pull -v3 --cores=1      
> guix pull: error: failed to load '/home/raingloom/.config/guix/channels.scm': No route to host
> ```
>
> My channels.scm mentions at least 3 hosts by name and indirectly uses
> ci.guix.gnu.org via channel-with-substitutes-available.

‘channel-with-substitutes-available’ failed due to a networking issue,
which is where “No route to host” comes from (it means that
ci.guix.gnu.org could not be reached from your machine).

> It's quite possible this is more a Guile issue, but then again, Guix
> should give a clear stack trace about which function the error
> originates from.

Yeah, ‘load*’ should better discriminate on the type of issues: issues
such as “File not found” (where displaying a stack trace would be
wrong), and issues caused by actually running the code.  Right now it
loads the file at once (meaning open + read + eval), so it doesn’t have
a sufficiently detailed vision.

Ludo’.