Subject: Re: bug#56842: Segfault when Captive Portal detection setting is enabled

From: Joshua Hecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 21:23:54 -0600

Adam Faiz <[email-masked]> writes:

> When the 'Detect Captive Portal' setting is enabled, IceCat segfaults
> before the browser window is displayed when restarted, even with the
> --safe-mode option.
>
> It works when run with the --migration option, but reports the
> following error:
> JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/CaptiveDetect.jsm, line 296:
> NS_ERROR_FAILURE: No canonical URL set up.
>
> To disable the setting, I had to go to my profile directory and edit
> prefs.js to remove the network.captive-portal-service.enabled line or
> change it to false.
>
> I use Guix's GNU IceCat 91.11.0esr.
> This bug has also been confirmed on Parabola.

I am using Guix on Icecat on version 102 and its still persistant. Do
you have issues with it keeping the captive portals setting off, but
upgrading to a new version while still segfaulting. I would just keep it
off for now. Cause as long as it doesnt break after upgrading, at least
(for me) its not totally experience ruining.

Anyways, sorry for the lack of real solutions ☹️. But i'll do some
testing to see what if at least it doesnt break on upgrade.

Stay well,
-Joshua