Subject: bug#56841: closed (Re: bug#56841: Emacs-28 C Mode: Fontification errors when arglist closing ) is on next line)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 15:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#56841: Emacs-28 C Mode: Fontification errors when arglist closing ) is on next line

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
56841: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56841
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#56841: Emacs-28 C Mode: Fontification errors when arglist closing ) is on next line
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Bill Sacks <[email-masked]>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 15:10:17 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Bill.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 10:08:48 -0600, Bill Sacks wrote:
> Thank you very much for this fix, Alan. I have now tested it both with 
> my test case and in more realistic code, and it seems to fix the issues 
> I was encountering – thank you!

Thanks for the testing!

> Sorry for the delay on getting back to you about this.

No problem!  I've now committed the fix to the master branch of Emacs at
savannah, and I'm closing the bug with this post.

> Bill

[ .... ]

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: Emacs-28 C Mode: Fontification errors when arglist closing ) is on next line
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Bill Sacks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:05:24 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Emacs.

This is (a version of) a bug reported by Bill Sacks <[email-masked]> in
the correspondence for bug #56818.  I am separating it from that bug,
since it is a distinct bug, despite having similar symptoms.  In
Emacs-28:

1. Start emacs -Q.
2. Insert the following file in C Mode:

void myfunc(

  ) {

}

3. In line 2 (the first blank line) type "<TAB>int somevar".
4. Note that somevar is not fontified.  This is a bug, given that the
  arglist to myfunc is terminated with a ) on line 3.
5. Do something (e.g. typing M-x) to cause a redisplay.  somevar gets
  its correct face.
6. Note that any insertion or deletion in L2 causes somevar to lose its
  fontification.  This is a bug.
7. (After 6).  Move point onto somevar and do C-u C-x =.  This shows
  that the face text property is set on the character despite the face
  not appearing on the screen.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).