Subject: [bug#56840] [PATCH] FeatherPad package

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 01:31:05 +0200

On 30-07-2022 15:52, Tsu Jan wrote:

> > It's super subjective...
>
>
> It isn't. Most users judge about "lightweight" pragmatically, based on 
> response time (CPU usage), RAM usage, and the amount of features 
> compared to similar apps.
>
> The disk usage is relative and depends on the DE -- installing a light 
> Qt app under Gnome, a light GTK app under LXQt or a light EFL app 
> under both may require lots of packages. 

Exactly, it's an 'it depends', whether it's lightweight depends on 
what's important to the user -- e.g., on my previous computer, lots of 
disk was practically irrelevant but RAM and CPU was limited. "It's 
relative" and "it depends" is pretty much a definition of subjectivity; 
everyone's notion of pragmatism is different.

 > Who cares about marketing?!

Guix doesn't, as I wrote previously.

 > It's a valid info,

Theoretically, it could be, but currently just copying the "lightweight" 
descriptor would give undue weight to some projects that just say 
"lightweight" without making any tests on how lightweight it is w.r.t. 
feature set and lack-of-bugs, etc., especially given that many other 
projects are more modest in their claims even if they are are more 
lightweight than much of the rest (e.g.: nano).

As such, words like "lightweight" tend to appear mere marketing to me, 
with some very few exceptions where the claims were actually precise, 
measurable and proven and the writer was honest and upfront on the 
limitations.

Greetings,
Maxime.