Subject: bug#56834: 28.1; notifications-notify only show max of 3 buttons on pop up window on ubuntu20.04

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:38:35 +0200

王宗涛 <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> Start with 'emacs -Q', notifications-notify and only show max of three
> ations buttons on pop up window. For example eval below code will only
> show three button "aa" "bb" "cc" and other two buttons "dd" and "ee"
> are  missing.

I've checked this on D-Bus level, and notifications-notify is sending
everything as expected.

> It is possible this is compatible issue between emacs and ubuntu, but
> I think it will be good emacs can make it more general to match
> ubuntu. If it is indeed ubuntu issue, please inform me, and I will
> issue it on ubuntu side.

I don't know what you're running on "ubuntu". I'm running Fedora 36,  and
this behaves exactly when invoking the notification from the shell. Try

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
# notify-send -A a=aa -A b=bb -A c=cc -A d=dd -A e=ee "only show aa bb cc" "d e are missing" 
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The server itentifies itself by the following Lisp snippet:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(notifications-get-server-information)
("gnome-shell" "GNOME" "42.3.1" "1.2")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I would say that the limitation is in the notification server. Not an
Emacs problem.

> Best wishes
> zongtao

Best regards, Michael.