Subject: bug#5683: 23.1.93; list-colors-display doesn't show all colors

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 11:01:37 +0200

[Please don't drop [email-masked] from the list of addressees,
so that the history of this bug is archived on the bug tracker, and
also so others could chime in to this discussion.]

> Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 22:57:19 +0100
> From: Markus Prepens <[email-masked]>
> 
> Function defined-colors seems to cause the trouble.  I stepped down the 
> code to xw-defined-colors in file ns-win.el. It uses the list x-colors. 
> It contains only 42 colors.
> 
> x-colors is initialized with the return value of ns-list-colors:
> 
> (defvar x-colors (ns-list-colors)
> 
> What I am wondering about is that ns-list-colors returns a correct list 
> of 794 colors.
> 
> What is wrong with the assignment of (ns-list-colors) to x-colors?

Nothing's wrong.  I suspect that some code modifies x-colors after it
is assigned.  Can you see if evaluating the following form

  (defvar my-x-colors (ns-list-colors))

puts the full 794-color list in my-x-colors?  (To evaluate the
expression, put the cursor immediately after the right parenthesis and
type "C-x C-e".)