Subject: Re: bug#56820: outline-minor-mode replacing the first character with an arrow

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 19:28:04 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 19:05:52 +0300
> 
> >   . do we really need to hide the first character of the line by the
> >     overlay? doesn't before-string work?
> 
> Does using before-string allows moving the cursor into the button
> displayed with before-string?

I don't understand this question: currently the cursor cannot be moved
into the overlay anyway.  And if the first character of the buffer's
line is not hidden below an overlay, why would we need to move cursor
into the overlay to begin with?

> >   . wouldn't it be better if the arrow buttons were displayed in the
> >     window's margin, and would thus avoid indenting the characters on
> >     that line wrt the rest of the code?
> 
> Same problem: the cursor can't be moved into the fringe indicator
> to be able to type RET on it.

I asked about the margins, not the fringe.

If you ask about RET, that is relevant for text-mode frames, where
buttons won't be used anyway, right?  On GUI frames, people are
expected to click on the buttons, right?

> >   . the buttons have a dark gray background that doesn't look good.
> 
> The buttons that I see by default are much worse - their background is
> glaring orange.

So we need to make them more visually appealing.