Subject: Re: bug#56815: 29.0.50; Isearch lazy-highlight highlights too much when truncate-lines is in effect

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 20:26:00 +0000

>
> And yes, if we want truncate-lines to work reasonably well, we need to 
> fix any features which behave silly in that display mode.
>

If we want truncate-lines to work reasonably well without fixing all such 
features one-by-one, we need to fix the root cause of that dysfunction, 
which is not inside these individual features, but is the fact that (- 
(window-end) (window-start)) is huge.

>
> We will not remove truncate-lines from Emacs, and we will not make it 
> dysfunctional.
>

Nobody is asking or suggesting to remove truncate-lines from Emacs, or to 
make is dysfunctional.  Admitting that it doesn't work together with long 
lines, which has always been the case, is something entirely different.

But I feel you will tell me that I'm pressuring you, so I bow out of this 
discussion.