Subject: Re: bug#56808: 29.0.50; Elusive display problem on macOS

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 19:13:17 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It shouldn't, but why do you need LSP?  xref-find-references has local
> alternatives for that, e.g. ID-Utils or Grep.

Good idea.

>
>> I suspect that it's really 8 at some point during startup, and that it
>> isn't overwritten.  The reason for this is that the two places above are
>> the only ones assigning to space_width, which I trust clangd to know.
>
> Then how did you get 7 in the other image you posted?

That's the 42€ question.

BTW, as I meanwhile realize, max-width is also set to 8.  Max-width is
computed a few lines below space-width.  From reading the code, I'd say
that is most likely when space-width has already been 8 there.  Which
leaves only a small window for overwriting.

Or both have been overwritten.  Many things are possible.  ATM, it's
just my gut telling me it's not overwritten.