Subject: bug#56802: closed (Re: bug#56802: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Cosmetic change to doc/lispref/tips.texi)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:23:02 +0000

Your bug report

#56802: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Cosmetic change to doc/lispref/tips.texi

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
56802: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=56802
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#56802: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Cosmetic change to doc/lispref/tips.texi
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 22:22:25 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:59:25 +0200
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> may I suggest this trivial change to tips.texi:

Thanks, I installed it on the emacs-28 branch.  (Please in the future
always check whether a documentation change is applicable for a
release branch, and submit a patch relative to that if so.)

Subject: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Cosmetic change to doc/lispref/tips.texi
From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
To: emacs-bugs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 19:59:25 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

may I suggest this trivial change to tips.texi:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
diff --git a/doc/lispref/tips.texi b/doc/lispref/tips.texi
index d03698d354..9faf3f33ba 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/tips.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/tips.texi
@@ -712,7 +712,7 @@ Documentation Tips
 punctuation.  For example:

 @example
- CODE can be `lambda', nil, or t.
+CODE can be `lambda', nil, or t.
 @end example

 Note that when Emacs displays these doc strings, Emacs will usually
@@ -868,7 +868,7 @@ Documentation Tips
 @item
 Try to avoid using abbreviations such as ``e.g.'' (for ``for
 example''), ``i.e.'' (for ``that is''), ``no.'' (for ``number''),
-``c.f.'' (for ``in contrast to'') and ``w.r.t.'' (for ``with respect
+``cf.'' (for ``in contrast to'') and ``w.r.t.'' (for ``with respect
 to'') as much as possible.  It is almost always clearer and easier to
 read the expanded version.@footnote{We do use these occasionally, but
 try not to overdo it.}
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

It deletes a leading space in an example and fixes the abbreviation
cf. which is to my knowledge short for the Latin confer/conferatur,
i.e., only one word.

Best, Arash